March 20, 2022
Ghraiba, Libyan Shortbread Cookies
This wonderful dry, yet fluffy shortbread cookies are common across North Africa and throughout the Middle East.
Each country tweaked the recipe to fit its local ingredients. Some say this cookie originated from Palestine, Syrian, Jordan, and Lebanon regions. It is commonly made with pistachios, however, we use almonds in Libya.
Let's drive into the recipe:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup ghee
- 1/3 cup corn or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- Blanched almonds for decorations
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Add oil and ghee to the mix until you obtain a crumbly dough
- place in the fridge for about 30 minutes
- Start rolling and shaping out the cookie
- Add a blanched almond on each cookie
- Bake until the cookie begins to crack and appear golden (about 20 minutes)
Enjoy with your favorite tea or coffee!
Recipe by https://lubnabenhalim.ly/libyan-ghraiba/